What a day: Women Shift Digital!
What a venue and sponsor: Level 39 in One Canada Square.
And what a fantastic quantity of quality women – starting with
- event organiser Ghislaine Boddington – who clearly knows what she’s doing between London, Brussels and other significant locations to get the message across by getting key people together: we can do it!
- keynote speaker Chi Onwura, the engineer turned MP and now Labour Shadow Minister in the Cabinet Office – about ‘Women in IT’ in Computer Weekly here – pointing out that the 12% of participation of women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) haven’t changed for 25 years!
- Janet Thomas, VP of Women in Banking and Finance – recommending not only mentors but also sponsors to advance your career
- the star of the young generation: Anne-Marie Imafidon who set up STEMettes
- and the best role model there is from young divorced mum to university lecturer and initiator of BCS Women, #techmums and #savvify: Dr Sue Black.
Let’s see how we’ll get the funding to ensure not only the Ascent of Mathematical Woman – as Margaret Wertheim describes it in Pythagoras’ Trousers, but also of
- GeekGirls who develop Smart Knowledge Portals
- ‘Data Women’ who enter the portals as data scientists
- and ‘domain experts’ who embed their expertise as ‘expert users’.
Might the time have come for my 3 innovative software methods to see the light that women shine?
A gender-balanced agenda can only be composed by men whose right brains are also developed and by women who are using the left brain for logical, analytical and rational purposes.
- #techmums: why can’t geeks be mothers too? | Life and style | The Guardian (theguardian.com)
- I THINK – aided by software – therefore I AM: Mathematical Woman, here I come! (3dmetricuniverse.wordpress.com)
- Former Child Prodigy Anne-Marie Imafidon Changing The World With Stemettes (atlantablackstar.com)
- Are women an oppressed group in science and technology? (societyandeducation.wordpress.com)