But my most likeminded heroes must be Giordano Bruno (1548 – 1600), Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 – 1750) and Pythagoras (570 BC – 495 BC) – besides everybody who contributed to the evolution of computing.
These Golden Verses are attributed to Pythagoras and end with:
- and Thou Thyself Shalt by Thine God in one translation I read.
Pythagoras is famous for his theorem a2 + b2 = c2. But what I have put into software is his other famous saying:
- All is Number – the subject of a cute 6-min Chinese video which also makes the link to BELIEFS and religion.
I found my favourite quote of Giordano Bruno in the Museum for Telecommunications in Berlin:
- There is no time. There is only movement. For if there was no movement, there would be no time.
- If music does not glorify God, it is only noise.
Giordano Bruno said just like Einstein:
- Nature is none other than God in all things.
I find reassuring, in terms of BELIEVING, and in terms of KNOWING what Giordano Bruno said, before he was burnt at the stake for it:
- The Divine Light is always in man, presenting itself to the senses and to the comprehension, but man rejects it.
- There is no absolute up or down, as Aristotle taught; no absolute position in space; but the position of a body is relative to that of other bodies. Everywhere there is incessant relative change in position throughout the universe, and the observer is always at the center of things.
- I beg you, reject antiquity, tradition, faith, and authority! Let us begin anew by doubting everything we assume has been proven!
- The beginning, middle, and end of the birth, growth, and perfection of whatever we behold is from contraries, by contraries, and to contraries; and whatever contrariety is, there is action and reaction, there is motion, diversity, multitude, and order, there are degrees, succession and vicissitude.
- When we consider the being and substance of that universe in which we are immutably set, we shall discover that neither we ourselves nor any substance doth suffer death. For nothing is in fact diminished in its substance, but all things, wandering through infinite space, undergo change of aspect.
May the time come soon, when my visualisation software can see the light of computer screens to enlighten peoples’ minds!
But it seems that the Universe wants me to break a few other established beliefs first… After all, I’m up for a criminal trial starting on 11 July. A badge of honour, in Bruno’s world!?…