My mum (1922 – 2011) who understood me better than anybody else gave me the book Gödel, Escher, Bach by Douglas Hofstadter (1954 – ) ages ago.
But my most likeminded heroes must be Giordano Bruno (1548 – 1600), Johann Sebastian Bach (1685 – 1750) and Pythagoras (570 BC – 495 BC) – besides everybody who contributed to the evolution of computing.
These Golden Verses are attributed to Pythagoras and end with:
- and Thou Thyself Shalt by Thine God in one translation I read.
Pythagoras is famous for his theorem a2 + b2 = c2. But what I have put into software is his other famous saying:
- All is Number – the subject of a cute 6-min Chinese video which also makes the link to BELIEFS and religion.
I found my favourite quote of Giordano Bruno in the Museum for Telecommunications in Berlin:
- There is no time. There is only movement. For if there was no movement, there would be no time.
When updating my last post about the Digital I Ching, WordPress showed me 25 quotes by Terence McKenna that will blow your mind published by The Unbounded Spirit. I found them inspiring and insightful, especially the link between Cult and Culture, given that we are dealing with a father whose children accuse him of being the leader of a cult that kills babies and abuses them and 18 other ‘special’ children…
I also stumbled into NUMBERS as the fourth book of the Old Testament. There are 35 chapters in NUMBERS. Reading just the titles, is like reading the history of people divided between living in unison with god and fighting that what can be called god or ‘universal’ and ‘cosmic intelligence’.
I noticed the ‘threescore’ for Judah and Dan. I wrote it as if it meant 100,000, but that’s hardly correct. The ‘numbering by their names’ is to me the attribution of numerical values of letters.
- The Numbering of Israel in Sinai
- The tribe of Reuben: 46,500 were ‘numbered by their names’ who were able to go forth to war;
- Simeon: 59,300
- Gad: 45,650
- Judah: 314,600
- Issachar: 54,400
- Zebulun: 57,400
- Ephraim: 40,500
- Manasseh, 32,200
- Benjamin: 35,400
- Dan: 302,700
- Asher: 41,500
- Naphtali: 53,400
- The Levites were not numbered, but ‘appointed over the tabernacle of testimony’.
- The Camps and Leaders of the Tribes
- The Number and Duty of the Levites
- The Tasks Assigned to the Levites
- The Unclean Driven from the Camp
- The Law for the Nazarite
- Offerings for the Dedication of the Altar
- Aaron Lights the Lamps
- The Observance of the Passover
- The Silver Trumpets
- The LORD Sends Quails
- Miriam and Aaron Speak against Moses
- The Twelve Spies Sent to Canaan
- The People Rebel against the LORD
- Laws concerning Offerings
- Korah’s Rebellion
- Aaron’s Rod
- Provision for the Priests and Levites
- The Purification of the Unclean
- Water from the Rock
- The Canaanites Attack Israel
- Balak Sends for Balaam
- Balaam Blesses Israel
- Balaam’s Prophecy
- Israel Worships Baal-peor
- The Numbering of Israel in Moab
- The Request of Zelophehad’s Daughters
- The Daily Offerings
- The Offerings at the Appointed Feasts
- The Law concerning Vows
- Israel Takes Vengeance on Midian
- Reuben, Gad, and Half of Manasseh Settle East of the Jordan
- The Stages of Israel’s Journey
- The Borders and Division of Canaan
- The Inheritance of the Levites
- The Law concerning the Marriage of Heiresses
In our troubled times, we each have to find our sources for meaning and making sense of all phenomena around us.
Blessed be the internet with its fountains of data, information, knowledge and wisdom!