The hexagrams have been used for divination as an oracle: one hexagram changes into another, one number is transformed into another and both are interpreted to describe changes in their natural processes.
The numerical progression from 2 lines into 64 hexagrams is as follows:
1. Single lines are polar opposites for change of PHENOMENA between Heaven and Earth:
- 0 or octal 0 to represent Yin: Earth, Dark, unconscious;
- 1 or octal 1 to represent Yang: Heaven, Light, conscious.
2. Double lines or ‘bigrams’ are starting and ending CONDITIONS for change:
- 00 or octal 0 to represent Earth, Receptive, Devoted;
- 01 or octal 1 to represent Thunder, Arousing, Movement;
- 10 or octal 2 to represent Water, Abysmal, Danger;
- 11 or octal 3 to represent Lake, Joyous, Pleasure.
3. Triple lines or trigrams are beginning and ending CONTEXTS for change:
- the above 00, 01, 10 and 11 with an extra 0 as 000, 001, 010, 011 for earth bound (visible, material) beginnings and endings
- 100 or octal 4 to represent Mountain, Keeping Still, Standstill;
- 101 or octal 5 to represent Lightning, Clinging, Light-giving;
- 100 or octal 6 to represent Wind, Gentle, Penetration;
- 111 or octal 7 to represent Heaven, Strong, Creative.
4. Four diagonal lines in eight quadrants are beginning and ending DIRECTIONS of change.
The 64 hexagrams can be symmetrically arranged in
1. one of four quadrants, offering squares for diagonals connecting ‘corner points’ pointing either inward or outward; numerically increasing from Dark to Light:
- octal 0: Top Right to Centre: 00 to 77 in quadrant 00 Earth;
- octal 1: Top Left to Centre: 00 to 77 in quadrant 01 Thunder;
- octal 2: Bottom Left to Centre: 00 to 77 in quadrant 02 Water;
- octal 3: Bottom Right to Centre: 00 to 77 in quadrant 03 Lake.
2. one of four quadrants, offering squares for diagonals connecting ‘corner points’ pointing either upward or downward; numerically decreasing from Light to Dark:
- octal 4: Top Right to Centre: 77 to 00 in quadrant 04 Mountain;
- octal 5: Top Left to Centre: 77 to 00 in quadrant 05 Lighting;
- octal 6: Bottom Left to Centre: 77 to 00 in quadrant 06 Wind;
- octal 7: Bottom Right to Centre: 77 to 00 in quadrant 07 Heaven.
As a consequence, quadrant positions can be added to the interpretation of hexagrams to answer questions by one hexagram changing into another one.
Wikipedia describes the divination method here: coins, yarrow sticks or random number generators can be used to get 6, 7, 8 or 9 as numerical value – six times – to draw the original hexagram and the one resulting from changing or stable lines:
- 6 and 8 for Yin – 6: changing, 8: stable;
- 7 and 9 for Yang – 7: stable, 9: changing.
The quadrant positions of the first and second hexagram can be determined similarly: in your own way, as long as you are consistent, to obtain 6, 7, 8 or 9:
1. To determine the quadrant for the starting conditions:
- stable 8 for Yin, i.e. inward moving, i.e. quadrant 0;
- changing 6 for Yin, i.e. inward moving, i.e. quadrant 1 changing into quadrant 2;
- stable 7 for Yang, i.e. outward moving, i.e. quadrant 2;
- changing 9 for Yang, i.e. outward moving, i.e. quadrant 3 changing into quadrant 0.
2. To determine the the quadrant for the ending conditions:
- stable 8 for Yin, i.e. inward moving, i.e. quadrant 4;
- changing 6 for Yin, i.e. inward moving, i.e. quadrant 5 changing into quadrant 6;
- stable 7 for Yang, i.e. outward moving, i.e. quadrant 6;
- changing 9 for Yang, i.e. outward moving, i.e. quadrant 7 changing into quadrant 0.
Quadrants 0, 1, 2, 3:
- the hexagrams change from 00 to 77,
- i.e. from Dark to Light or Earth to Heaven.
To change from Earth to Heaven means upward movement.
- the hexagrams change from 77 to 00,
- i.e. from Light to Dark or Heaven to Earth.
To change from Heaven to Earth means moving downward.
Thanks to the binary basis of computers and their new ways of representing knowledge and insights, the current great awakening of humanity thus includes the rise to a new plane of
- for inward and outward movement from Unconsciousness to Consciousness
- towards and away from Heaven and Light
and directional changes
- between upward and downward movements between ideas and Past and their manifestation and Future
- towards Consciousness and away from Unconsciousness.