It is based on two fundamental polarities:
- Yin – Earth and Darkness or the Feminine, Time and Unconsciousness
- and Yang – Heaven and Light or the Masculine, Space and Consciousness, as the two principles that govern all phenomena between heaven and earth.
My understanding of polarities has developed from
- Richard Wilhelm‘s translation of the I Ching into German as the first Western language which I began to study in my twenties;
- Gestalt therapy and other humanistic approaches as mechanisms for closing ‘gaps’ of awareness;
- analysing mathematics [abstract, behind our eyes] as a model for physics [concrete, before our eyes] and other sciences with the result of 3D Metrics: metrology [expressed through programming on screen] is the link that Einstein was looking for.
The result of analysing the I Ching is a new ordering principle for its 64 hexagrams. They are composed from:
|— a broken Yin line
— and a solid Yang line.
|These 2 lines form
— 4 line pairs or ‘bigrams’
— and 8 ‘trigrams’ of 3 lines:
|2 trigrams then form
a ‘hexagram’ of 6 lines and
8 * 8 trigrams
create 64 hexagrams:
Previously, different sequences have been created and are described
- in Wikipedia: King Wen – the oldest – 12th century BC and Fu Xi – the ‘binary’ sequence
- by Steve Marshall: Yijing hexagram sequences
- others that you find thanks to Google images – especially in fascinating diagrams.
I describe the principal sequences on
My new ordering principle comprises the following:
1. Numerical Sequencing – as a storyboard:
- instead of counting in decimal numbers from 1 to 64, I am counting in octal numbers from 0 to 77 (63).
- when I number the trigrams from 0 to 7 they result in hexagrams from 00 to 77.
Colouring shows up
- different positions of hexagrams in quadrants of past and future
- transitions, connections and symmetries.
Complete sets of hexagrams can be arranged in 8 quadrants.
By associating them with Time and Consciousness, they offer additional scope for the interpretation of change, when using the I Ching as an oracle:
- starting and end conditions for the direction of change between Past and Future
- inward / outward and upward / downward directions between Consciousness and Unconsciousness
More detailed descriptions in Visual Diagrams and
Finally, new visual designs and diagrams result in t-shirts!